Monday, March 24, 2014

Couple of questions

This was in front of the Chenna Kesava temple at Chindatripet. The elephant seems to be guarding the chariot with its colourful cylindrical cloth hangings - called தொம்பை ("thombai") in Tamizh. And no, the elephant hasn't fallen flat on its tummy, it is supposed to be doing something else.

So here are the questions: the first is What is the English word for தொம்பை ("thombai")?

The second question has been borrowed from Quizzerix - how would you connect what the elephant is doing with a happening spot in Velachery? A clue is that you need to think on the same lines as for an earlier question on this blog. And like then, if you get it right, I shall let you take me, and I promise to enjoy it. 

But if you let me have an answer to the first question, I shall take you to the Velachery connect!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tompai is the English translation.

Flying Elephant is the Bar at the Hyatt in Velachery.

Mark Pillai

Shantaram said...

@Mark: Ok, you can take me to the Flying Elephant.....

Tompai? This here is Tompai:
http://wmbf.images.worldnow.com/images/19684388_BG1.jpg :p